Thursday, October 12, 2006

Smoking Addiction/Nicotine - My Story Pt. 1

When I was 10 years old (5th grade) I started smoking. Let's just say, I was dabbling in it. Why? Who knows. I guess to be cool; to fit in? I remember stealing cigarette butts from my dad's ashtray (I know -GaROSS!!) and rolling them up in a napkin to save for later. I would hide them in my dresser drawer. Some of the other girls from my street and I would head to the end of the subdivision where the new houses were being built so we could fire up the "butts" we had collected and learn to inhale. On the day my parents found out you can guarantee those weren't the only "butts" being fired up. Yow!

I remember hanging out on a patio of one of those homes - looking at ourselves through the sliding door. We would watch our reflection in the glass to see how cool we looked inhaling and exhaling the smoke.

To Be Continued...

5 Comments:

Blogger Bar L. said...

wow, you smoked at age ten! Cant' wait to hear the rest....

7:55 PM  
Blogger FruitfulSpirit said...

Funny how we think something so ugly looks so cool. And you were so young!

5:00 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Barbara - Can you believe it?

Badoozer - I figure it's because my Dad smoked is why they didn't know. Also, I was a latch-key kid. We ran all over the place when my parents were at work.

Fuity - I guess because we see those who we think are cool doing it. Who knows. Someone told me the onther day that they heard smoking was becoming the "in" thing again. YUK!

6:55 AM  
Blogger keesh said...

Hmm, my Mom made me inhale a BIG puff of smoke when I was curious about smoking when I was about 8...I almost puked...but when I was 17, i started smoking for real and didn't quit until I was 25 when hubby and I decided to try for a family. I am a firm believer this is a habit that can be broken with a strong desire and will. I still on occassion will have one, and have yet to go back to "permanant" smoking, but every time I do it I feel like ass for days after...I wish with all my heart my Mom would quit. she has so many health issues...

11:41 AM  
Blogger KingJaymz said...

This is a really, really good blog post. It's a shame that you haven't continued on with this. Not only is it hilarious, but I'd like to hear the rest of the story. You have an excellent writing style.

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home